Auckland City Athletics Club (ACA) was established in 1998 by a merger of two long-standing and successful clubs, Owairaka Athletic & Harrier Club and College Rifles Harriers Club.
The world-famous Owairaka club was founded in 1943 and during the 1950's and 1960's produced many national and world champions, among them Peter Snell, Murray Halberg, Barry Magee and Jeff Julian. Owairaka is forever associated with two great coaches, both inaugural inductees of the New Zealand Athletics Coach Hall of Fame: Arch Jelley, OBE, (coach of Olympic 1500m gold medallist John Walker) and the legendary Arthur Lydiard, ONZ, OBE. Arthur's striking statue (pictured right) now keeps a watchful eye on athletes and coaches at ACA’s summer headquarters, Towers Track at Mt Smart Stadium.
College Rifles was established in 1980, and during that decade its members achieved notable successes in the Club’s cross country specialty at regional and national level.
The union of College Rifles and the senior secton of Owairaka was promoted in the early 1990's to establish a larger central Auckland-based entity with a strong coaching and organisational structure. The new Club's first full year was 1999; ACA now has a profile and record comparable to that of North Harbour Bays on the North Shore, and Pakuranga and Counties Manukau to the South.